While skiing this week, you'll only have one blog post from me this week. So, I let you discover the Postgres world with some interesting resources.
For those who don't know Postgres, it's an opensource object relational database management system, initiated in 1995 and which know a rise since Ingres increased its license feeds and also Oracle bought Sun and thus MySQL. MySQL was a very popular database for Web projects at least (it's the M in the LAMP acronym : Linux Apache MySQL PHP). For a detailed history, cf Postgresql on Wikipedia.
So beyond the official documentation :
- Postgres Guide : a collection of useful resoueces on tipcs & tricks with Postgres for DBA, Developper or Sysadmins.
- MySQL and Postgres commands equivalent : as you may be used to MySQL and wants to know how to achieve the same things in Postgres
- How I work with postgres - psql, my PostgresAdmin : tips and tricks on how to improve the user-friendlyness of psql (ie command line postgres client)
- Postgres: The Bits you haven't found : 12 features of Postgres you may have never heard of ; or I would say 11 as I already spoke about arrays in postgresql.
- Understanding Postgres performance and more on Postgres performance : introducing Postgres internals that allow you to determine whether your database performance is slowing down your app, and if so what you can do about it.