Spending some time on MySQL these days, time for a SQL/Database roundup :
- As a time where most Linux distribution drops MySQL due to the Oracle policy, a document on the (in)compatibility of MySQL with MariaDB ; MariaDB is the fork of MySQL and is developped with most of the original MySQL team (ie before Oracle bought Sun and thus MySQL). You can also read the MariaDB vs MySQL Features.
- If you are interested in MySQL and want to know more about administration, replication, optimisation, etc ; the must read book is High Performance MySQL (I highly recommend it) and you can follow the related blog.
- Percona provides a bunch of scripts to get information about the status of your database, its health, replication status, etc.
- Percona provides a bunch of templates/scripts/reports/graphs to integrate with your monitoring solution (Nagios/Cacti) ; it covers mainly MySQL but you also have some for Apache, Nginx, MongoDB, etc.
- More about Percona MySQL graphs in Cacti which capture all the activity of your MySQL server
- If you are more interested on Postgres monitoring :
- Indexes : the neglected performance all-rounder : where you will learn obvious things :
- Defining indexes is part of developper jobs and not DBA
- Indexes are not taught and poorly documented as it's not strictly part of SQL language
- Need for speed (in French) : a mix of best practices / tools / methodology on optimisation for your database (mainly postgres)
- MySQL Tuner : a script that would review your MySQL configuration and makes suggestion to improve performance and stability. Full support up to MySQL 5.1 ; Alike, you also have MySQL Tuning Primer.