Ergonomy / User Experience
- The best icon is a text label : a reminder that icon must be meaningful, with some examples of do's/don'ts and at the end that a text label may be more accurate than an icon.
- Media queries for common devices breakpoints to relate with "Why you don't need device specific breakpoints" and the most important sentence that may not be immediatly obvious ; I added an extra comment
Over the 4 years we have slowly moved away from device specific breakpoints in favour of content specific breakpoints, i.e. adding a breakpoint when the content is no longer easy to consume (whatever the device is).
- Redis the key/value store and cache is to be released as 3.0 with a new feature : cluster mode ; you can start discovering the cluster in French or in English.
- Karlesnine published a series of articles (in French) on how he monitors apache log files by using ElasticSearch, LogStash, Kibana and Redis as an intermediay point. It has been used for "Closer" (people newspaper)
- M6Web Tech team published an article (English version ; French version) on how they mocked a backend application while they were building the frontend one and til the backend is fianlised. Beyond the tool involved, the most important point is the "interface agreement" in which backend and frontend teams agreed on how the coming API would work and be used to avoid bad surprises as much as possible at the end.
- A visual guide to CSS3 Flexbox properties : title is self explainatory about what it is !
Responsive Web Design
- Visual Test Driven Development for Responsive Interface Design : introduction to the Galen Framework to test your interface in a responsive context in an automated way.
- Responsive tables in pure CSS : a way to manage tables in a responsive context where tables are not that flexible to display.
- A modern VM for Internet Explorer with Vagrant (in French) : based on VM provided by Microsoft, a deeper integration with vagrant in order to provide VM Win7/IE11 in this example for end users to test a web application.
- Docker published a series of blog post on how to use Docker :
- Tutorial 1 : Installing Docker
- Tutorial 2 : Docker run command basics
- Tutorial 3 : Fun with volumes
- Tutorial 4 : More run with a couple extra goodies
- Tutorial 5 : Basic networking
- Tutorial 6 : Dockerfile part 1
- Tutorial 7 : Dockerfile part 2
- Tutorial 8 : Troubleshooting with sysdig
- Tutorial 9 : Docker machine
- Tutorial 10 : Docker Compose
- Tutorial 11 : Docker Swarm
- Tutorial 12 : Kitematic
- Tutorial 13 : Getting Started with the New Experimental Docker Networking
- Still on Docker a more real life experience with tips on deploying (official image) nginx with docker in a context of "building application with microservices & docker".
- Another entry on Docker and why a firm does not use it (yet) in production ; At least for logging, the solution is improved in the 1.6 series if I'm correct. So right now, docker only for testing/dev environments ?
[Edit 18/5, 21/5, 28/5,19/6,10/7 - Update docker tutorial list]